Have a look at this link and tell me if the world does not have a problem to deal with.
Ever the optimist I’m beginning to think the horrific scenes unfolding in Bali are in some ways a good thing. Seeing such an in-your-face ( literally ) disgusting manifestation of the problem of rubbish in our oceans is telling us all we need to do something very, very soon. Like now.
So what can we do? There are so many small things each of us can do that will make a difference, changing our own habits will lead the way in helping others change their habits.
Start with a few personal actions…
- Reduce plastic packaging, choose products with less plastic ie Buy a large size yogurt rather 6 individual ones – it’s cheaper too!
- Fresh rather than processed – less packaging and it’s better for you.
- Recyclable packaging wherever you can not plastic.
- Take your own bags to the shop.
- Start using recycled paper bags.
- Spend a little extra time sorting your recycling.
- Take three for the sea. http://www.take3.org/
- Use a keep cup for your takeaway coffee.
- Support ‘clean-up’ organisations.
- Petition your local government to go plastic free.
These are just a few small practical things, the biggest thing is a change of heart.